Hair Transplant Surgery at The Hair, Skin & Wellness Clinic
Does hair transplant surgery really work?
An increasing amount of men and women from across the world are opting for hair transplant surgery to restore their hair loss. The question is, doe hair transplant surgery really work? Hair transplants work when they look natural and adequate density was achieved. This can only be done by following a process of total quality management. When each and every aspect of the hair transplant is treated with the utmost precision and expert care then quality manifests. Quality is never an accident. It is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction and skilful execution and it represents the wise choice of many alternatives. So, when the right conditions are met, hair transplants work very well indeed. Hair transplant surgeries have proven to be very successful in the right hands, and have helped many individuals who suffer from baldness to realize their dream of having a full head of hair and regaining their self-confidence.
What makes hair transplant surgery popular, is the fact that it offers a permanent solution for hair loss, often caused by Androgenetic Alopecia and other causes. This means that once the hair transplant surgery has been completed, new hair growth will occur in the affected areas, and no further hair loss of the newly transplanted hair follicles will occur.
This minimally invasive surgery involves specialised techniques where hair follicles are harvested from the safe donor areas on the scalp, after which the follicles are then transplanted into recipient sites in the recipient area.
Hair Follicle Harvesting Techniques
At The Hair, Skin & Wellness Clinic we specialise in the following hair transplant surgery techniques:
- Follicle Unit Excision technique (FUE) – this is where single hair follicles are harvested from the donor area and transplanted into the recipient area. It is the most modern technique in hair transplant surgery.
- Follicle Unit Transplant surgery (FUT) – this is where a strip of hair is removed from the donor area and hair follicles are isolated from the strip via stereo-microscopic dissection and then the individual follicles are transplanted into the recipient area. This is the more traditional approach.
- Combination FUE and FUT technique – allows us to maximize follicle unit yield from the donor area without pushing the limits of either FUE or FUT donor follicle supply, thereby maximizing the follicle yield but also providing a balanced and safe approach that protects the donor area in carefully selected cases.
Do Hair Transplants Look Real and Natural?
The key to achieving a natural look is by creating a hairline that resembles a non-transplanted hairline. The Hairline, the Part and the Whorl area in the Crow are the most visible areas on the hair bearing scalp. These are the areas where an unnatural appearance can be spotted easily. By following the principles of hairline design and allowing for a transition zone that flows into a defined zone and having an irregular random external hairline border is essential in establishing a natural look. Also, using single grafts in the transition zone, followed by two hair follicles, then three, then four hair follicles closer to the frontal core is very important in creating a natural look.
Where Does The Journey Start?
The journey starts during the initial consultation with the hair transplant surgeon. The surgeon must have a good understanding of the patient’s goals and objectives. On the other hand, the patient must have realistic goals and expectations. In order to have the best possible result the patient must be prepared to combine long term medical treatment with surgical treatment. A commitment to long term medical treatment will provide the best chance of arresting progression of the Androgenetic Alopecia process which then enables the transplanted areas to blend seamlessly with the non-transplanted areas and thereby minimizing zones with miniaturised hair follicles.
Factors That Influence the Hair Transplant Procedure
What are the conditions that are most likely to insure a successful hair transplant surgery?
- Experienced hair transplant surgeon and team: The most important factor that will influence the success of a hair transplant procedure, is the experience of the hair transplant surgeon and his team. Dr. André Nel at The Hair, Skin & Wellness Clinic has many years of experience and expert knowledge, and has worked and trained with some of the most world renowned hair restoration surgeons across the world. At The Hair, Skin & Wellness Clinic you can be assured of a qualified and experienced surgeon and surgical team.
- Harvesting, management and storage of grafts (hair follicles): The procedure of harvesting the hair follicles is an extremely delicate and specialised procedure. Grafts are extracted from the donor area which contain a follicular unit with 1 to 4 hair follicles each. A specialised punch with a diameter of 0.7 mm to 1.05 mm and specialised forceps are used in very capable hands that will ensure that the hair follicles are not damaged during the harvesting process. Grafts are gradually cooled down from body temperature to room temperature and then stored in a specialised graft storage solution at a temperature of five degrees Celsius and then warmed up gradually to room temperature again before transplanted into the recipient area sites where they warm up to body temperature again. This minimizes ischaemic reperfusion injury.
- Incisions and the transplanting procedure: The surgeon ensures that the hair follicles are transplanted in the correct manner throughout the procedure, referring to incision site depth, angle and correct follicle unit implanting.
- Goals and expectations: Meeting and exceeding the patient’s goals and expectations is our primary goal at The Hair, Skin & Wellness Clinic. We ensure that the patient and the surgeon is on the same page with regard to what needs to be achieved and the expectations involved.
Based on hair shaft morphology, hairs are divided into three basic categories:
- Terminal hairs (the hairs visible on your scalp)
- 60-84 microns in diameter
- Miniaturized hairs
- 30-60 microns in diameter
- Vellus hairs
- Less than 30 microns in diameter
- Examples of Vellus hairs are the hairs on the back of your hands. These are very small hair follicles that occur all over the body and you almost need a magnifying glass to see them.
For hair transplant surgery the Miniaturized and Vellus hairs are of no value at all. We only use Terminal hair follicles for hair restoration because only hair shafts with ample calibre make an impact from an aesthetic point of view.
If you are looking for a lasting solution to your hair loss problems, book your consultation with Dr. André Nel at The Hair, Skin & Wellness Clinic today. Find out more information about the best professional treatments available.