Non-Surgical Treatments for Hair Loss
If your hair is thinning at a rapid pace and you are unhappy with the fact that you are going bald, it might be time to consider some of the treatment options available to prevent this process from progressing further and restoring your lost hair. There are a number of non-surgical treatment options to consider before opting for hair transplant surgery. Non-surgical hair loss treatments are always part of the treatment plan, with or without hair transplant surgery. In younger patients especially who are in the early stages of hair loss, medical hair loss treatments can stabilize or improve the situation to such an extent that it may prevent the necessity for hair transplant surgery, provided the treatments are started early enough.
Androgenetic Alopecia (Pattern Hair Loss) is a very common condition amongst men (Male Pattern Baldness), and it also occurs in women (Female Pattern Hair Loss), but is less prevalent compared to men. This type of hair loss affects a high percentage of men and apart from the hair loss it can also cause negative psychological effects. Some men may experience a loss of confidence and even low self-esteem due to hair loss. Non-surgical hair loss treatments have provided good results for many of our patients.
There are a number of things you can do to inhibit the process of male pattern baldness from progressing, such as changing your diet and using non-surgical treatments and medication. For more advanced hair loss, you may opt for minimally invasive hair transplant surgery, during which healthy hair follicles are harvested from the donor area of the scalp, and then transplanted into the recipient area. At The Hair, Skin & Wellness Clinic we offer a range of non-surgical treatment options to help restore hair, prevent further hair loss and maintain healthy looking hair.
- Hair Loss Supplements: Hair loss supplements from Help Hair, consisting of whey protein and essential vitamins and minerals that promote healthy hair growth.
2. Medication and Topical Treatments
The two most important medical treatments for preventing hair loss and promoting hair growth are:
- Finasteride is the kingpin in medical hair loss therapy as it reduces the levels of DHT hormone that miniaturize hair follicles. In addition to stalling the process of AGA (Androgenetic Alopecia) in 42% of cases, approximately 48% of men may even experience an improvement in hair volume. This is a prescription medication and can be prescribed as a stand-alone treatment only but I mostly recommend to use it in combination with the other medical options as well. Finasteride is FDA approved for treating AGA.
- Minoxidil is applied as a topical treatment directly to the scalp and it lengthens the growth phase of the hair cycle (Anagen phase) which maximizes the hair shaft calibre and hair volume. Minoxidil can be purchased over the counter from most pharmacies and is FDA approved for treating AGA.
3. Improve Your Hair Volume
- LaserCap Therapy: The LaserCap® LCPRO™ and LaserCap® LCElite™ are medical devices that use Low Level Light Therapy to promote hair growth.
4. SMP and Custom Hair Systems
- Scalp Micro-Pigmentation (SMP) involves placing colour pigments into the superficial skin layers of the scalp (similar to a very superficial tattoo dot). This reduces the reflection of light from the scalp and creates an illusion of increased hair density.
- CNC – Cezare Ragazzi Medical Hair Systems: A CRL Medical Hair System can be used to restore natural looking hair volume in cases where hair transplant surgery is limited or not possible. Read more about this hair replacement system and what it can do for you.
If you are concerned about hair loss, then get in touch with us so we can advise you on the best possible options that are available.