Non-Surgical Treatments for Hair Loss
If your hair is thinning at a rapid pace and you are not happy about the fact that you are going bald, it might be time to consider some of the treatment options available to prevent it from happening and restoring your lost hair. There are a number of non-surgical treatment options to consider before opting for hair transplant surgery. Non-surgical hair loss treatments are always part of the treatment plan, with or without hair transplant surgery. In younger patients especially who are in the early stages of hair loss, medical hair loss treatments can stabilize or improve the situation to such an extent that it may prevent hair transplant surgery, provided the treatments are started early enough.
Androgenetic Alopecia (Pattern Hair Loss) is a very common condition amongst men (Male Pattern Baldness), and it also occurs in women a Female Pattern Hair Loss, but is less prevalent compared to men. This type of hair loss affects a high percentage of men and apart from the hair loss it can also cause negative psychological effects. Some men may experience a loss of confidence and even low self-esteem due to hair loss,. Non-surgical hair loss treatments have provided great results for many of our patients. If you are bothered by hair loss, then get in touch with us so we can advise you on the best possible options that are available.
Overview of non-surgical treatments for hair loss
There are several non-surgical options available for treating hair loss.
- Platelet Enriched Plasma (PRP): Platelet rich plasma (PRP) is concentrated blood plasma which contains approximately three to five times the number of platelets found in normal circulating blood. In addition, it contains platelet derived growth factor (PDGF), vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF), transforming growth factor (TGF) and other bio-active proteis like: insulin-like growth factor 1, insulin-like growth factor 2, epidermal growth factor, Interleukin 8, keratinocyte growth factor and connective tissue growth factor. A variety of Growth Factors released from PRP rejuvenate the skin from inside. How it works? The application of PRP cause miniaturized hair follicles to become healthier and larger, producing more robust hair growth. PRP activates follicular progenitor cells (adult stem cells) and PRP is loaded with growth factors that promote rapid angiogenesis and localized cell growth. It’s been proven to make hair grow better and faster when combined with the surgical part of the hair restoration procedure. PRP treatment at the Hair, Skin & Wellness Clinic – we offer two different types of treatment: skin rejuvenation face treatment and anti-hair loss treatment. The anti-hair loss treatment can be administered as a stand-alone treatment or combining with hair transplant surgery. With both types, a small amount of your blood is taken from your arm. Then the sample is placed in a centrifuge machine to separate the platelets from other components of the blood. To maximize the concentration of the platelets we use THE HARVEST SmartPrep Multicellular Processing system, which provides the highest platelet concentration and yield compared to 12 other PRP systems
- Medicines and supplements: Medical treatments such as finasteride and minoxidil are FDA approved for treating Androgenetic Alopecia and form the mainstay of medical treatments. Then there is also ketoconazole used as a shampoo that has a weak anti-androgenic effect, there is also serenoa repens (a berry extract) also known as saw palmetto that has an anti-androgenic effect and various supplements containing zinc, biotin, selenium, nettle, pumkin seed, iron etc that can be used as adjuncts in combination with the above.
- Topical Fibres: Hydrostatic fibers are sprinkled on areas of hair thinning and creates the illusion of more density. This short term aesthetic solution can also be used in conjunction with more permanent hair restoration solutions, such as taking hair supplements, or prescription hair loss medication. This Topical Fibre Powder from Help Hair is available in different colors to match your natural hair color, adding instant density to your existing hair.
- CNC Medical Hair Systems by CR Laboratories: This state-of-the-art treatment for hair loss or baldness is the latest in hair replacement solutions. A CNC Medical Hair System is a medical grade prosthesis, designed to add real hair via a skin-like polymer membrane onto your scalp and thereby restore your hair volume with perfect hair. The CNC system is developed by the Italian company Cesare Ragazzi Laboratories. The Hair, Skin and Wellness Clinic is a licensed center for Cesare Ragazzi Medical Hair Systems, and our professional team will take parameter measurements of your scalp and hair characteristics to provide you with a natural looking hair system that feels like you are not wearing anything, except your hair will look the way you want it to. For more information about this state-of-the-art Medical Hair System, and the 39-step process to develop a system, watch the video by Cesare Ragazzi Laboratories.
- Scalp Micro-Pigmentation: Scalp Micro-Pigmentation is a process whereby small superficial pigment dots are made on the scalp surface and this diminishes the reflection of light, creating the illusion of more hair density. It effectively camouflages the appearance of hair loss, by means of implanting colored pigmentation to the skin (similar to a tattoo dot) with a specialised needle. The pigmentation will replicate the candidate’s natural hair strands and follicles in terms of color. It diminishes the reflection of light from the scalp adding to the illusion of density. Scalp micro-pigmentation is also often used in conjunction with hair transplant procedures as a supporting treatment, improving the end result of hair transplant surgery even more.
- Trichological Treatments: Trichology involves the study of the hair and scalp (medically and cosmetically), and the products to achieve optimal hair growth conditions. There are six Trichological product ranges developed by Trichlogists at the Cesare Ragazzi Laboratory that aid in healthy hair growth:
- Hair loss prevention line: This CRLAB range has been developed to fight the occurrence of thinning hair and shedding. Learn more about this hair loss prevention range available from the Hair, Skin & Wellness Clinic.
- Antidandruff moisturising line: CRLAB’s antidandruff range comprises of a number of products that help fights off dandruff, moisturising the scalp and hair to aid in healthy hair growth. View the range of antidandruff moisturising products available from the Hair, Skin and Wellness Clinic.
- Sebum regulating line: This range developed by CRLAB has been designed to purify the scalp, and rid it of excess sebum (oil), which will reinforce hair bulb metabolism to aid in healthy hair growth. See the CRLAB range of sebum regulating products
- Daily care line: CRLAB’s daily care line comprises of shampoos that are ideal for frequent / daily hair care.
- Extra care line: The extra care line of products from CRLAB are designed to treat specific scalp conditions such as dehydrated scalps, greasy scalps and dandruff. See the range of Extra Care products available at the Hair, Skin and Wellness Clinic.
- Restructuring and finish line: This line of CRLAB products are designed to protect your hair from being damaged by harsh weather conditions, heated styling tools and other factors. Get shiny, soft hair with more volume by using the Restructuring and Finish line.
Visit our online store for hair care products
Restore your hair and self-confidence with nonsurgical or surgical solutions
Dr. André Nel is a leading hair restoration specialist practicing in Dublin, Ireland, who has assisted many individuals to regain their self-confidence by helping them achieve a fuller head of hair. Dr. André Nel will assess your personal hair loss condition, and will be able to provide you with a realistic goal of what can be achieved by combining non-surgical and/or surgical treatment solutions. For more information about hair transplants or to book a consultation, contact Dr. André Nel today.