Solutions for Baldness
Male Pattern Baldness is definitely not a recent occurrence. Men have suffered from Androgenetic Alopecia (Male Pattern Baldness) throughout the ages, leaving them frustrated and distressed. Many bizarre remedies originated to treat hair loss conditions, showing little success (which isn’t surprising). Some of the remedies over the ages include:
- A paste of honey, boiled wheat and beer was made, and then applied gently by a virgin onto the scalp.
- Ancient Greek / Roman remedy: Cups of mustard oil were boiled together with henna leaves, which was then massaged onto the scalp every day.
- Viking remedy: The Vikings were known to rub goose droppings on the scalp and hair to keep their hair beautiful (not a very pleasant idea).
- Other bizarre remedies from different cultures include the application of cow faeces and pig urine, porcupine hair boiled in water (Ancient Egyptian remedy) and more.
Current successful treatments for baldness
We are guessing that many of the ancient remedies would still have been used today, should they have shown successful results. There are, however, a number of different treatments available today that show successful results in the prevention and cure of hair loss conditions:
- Topical Treatment: A topical hair loss treatment is available, which is antihypertensive vasodilator medication applied directly to the scalp. Although application is easy, the treatment is not very practical to apply a foamy substance to your scalp. This treatment has proven to be very successful, but unfortunately is not a convenient choice for long term results.
- Hair Loss Medication: An oral hair loss medication is also available, which prevents the conversion of male hormones (the main cause of hair loss in men). This medication has shown successful results for many individuals who suffer from hair loss. The only con is that once treatment is stopped, hair loss will reoccur after a few months.
- Hair transplant surgery (FUE and FUS/T methods): Hair transplant surgery offers a permanent solution for hair loss. This minimally invasive surgery involves a specialised technique where a number of hair grafts containing hair follicles are harvested from donor areas on the scalp (where healthy hair growth occurs), which are then transplanted to recipient areas where hair growth is desired. This permanent solution to baldness has helped many individuals, especially men, in Ireland to get the fuller head of hair they desire. Dr. André Nel is a hair restoration specialist at the Hair, Skin & Wellness Clinic in Dublin, who not only restores the hair growth of his clients, but their self-confidence as well.
Book an appointment with Dr. André Nel
Dr. André Nel is a trusted doctor in Ireland specialising in hair transplant surgery. Dr. Nel has assisted many clients, both men and women, with their hair loss problems, delivering results that exceed their expectations. Make an appointment with Dr. André Nel in Dublin to get the head of hair you’ve always wanted – a consultation will determine if you are a suitable candidate for his hair restoration procedure.