Hair Transplant Treatments at The Hair, Skin & Wellness Clinic
Do hair transplants really work?
More and more men and women across the world are opting for hair transplants to cure their hair loss. The question is, do hair transplants really work? If the right conditions are met, then hair transplants work well. Hair transplant surgeries have proven to be very successful in the right hands, and have helped many individuals achieve a fuller head of hair.
What makes hair transplant surgery popular, is the fact that it offers a permanent solution for hair loss, often caused by Androgenetic Alopecia and other causes. This means that once the hair transplant surgery is complete, new hair growth will occur in the affected area, and no further hair loss of the newly transplanted hair follicles will occur.
This minimally invasive surgery involves specialised techniques where hair follicles are harvested from donor areas on the scalp, which is then transplanted into the recipient area. This hair loss solution has helped many individuals to get the fuller head of hair they desire.
Hair Follicle Harvesting Techniques
At The Hair, Skin & Wellness Clinic we specialise in the following hair transplant techniques:
- Follicle Unit Excision technique (FUE) – this is where single hair follicles are harvested from the donor area and transplanted into the recipient area. It is the most modern technique in hair restoration surgery.
- Follicle Unit Strip Transplant surgery (FUS / T) – this is where a strip of hair is removed from the donor area and hair follicles are isolated from the strip and transplanted into the recipient area. This is the more traditional approach.
- Combination FUE and FUS/T technique – allows us to maximize follicle unit yield from the donor area without pushing the limits of either FUE or FUS/T donor follicle supply, thereby providing a balanced and safe approach that protects the donor area in carefully selected cases.
Do Hair Transplants Look Real and Natural?
The seal on achieving a natural look is by creating a hairline that resembles and looks exactly like a non-transplanted hairline. The hairline, and the part and the whorl area vulnerable areas that are completely exposed to the observers eyes. Those are the areas where an unnatural appearance can be spotted the easiest. By following the principles of hairline design allowing for a transition zone that flows into a defined zone and having an irregular random external hairline border is essential in establishing a natural look. Also, using single grafts in the transition zone, followed deeper by two hair follicles and then three and four hair follicles closer to the frontal core is critical in creating a natural look.
How Does The Journey Begin?
The journey starts during the initial consultation with the hair transplant surgeon. There must be good understanding by the surgeon of the patient’s goals and objectives. The patient must also have realistic expectations. In order to have the best possible result the patient must be prepared to combine long term medical treatment with surgical treatment. A commitment to long term medical treatment will provide the best chance of arresting progression of the Androgenetic Alopecia process which allows for the transplanted areas to blend seamlessly with the non-transplanted areas and thereby minimizing zones with miniaturized hair follicles.
Factors That Influence The Hair Transplant Procedure
What are the conditions that ensure a successful hair transplant procedure?
- Experienced hair transplant surgeon and team: The most important factor that will influence the success of a hair transplant procedure, is the experience of the hair transplant surgeon and his team. Dr. André Nel at The Hair, Skin & Wellness Clinic has gained years of experience and knowledge, and has worked with some of the top hair restoration specialists across the world. You are ensured of a qualified and experienced surgeon and surgical team when trusting Dr. André Nel to perform your hair transplant surgery.
- Harvesting, management and storage of grafts (hair follicles): The procedure of harvesting the hair follicles / grafts is an extremely delicate and specialised procedure. Grafts are extracted from the donor area which contain a Follicular Unit with 1 – 4 hair follicles each. A specialised punch with a diameter of 0.7mm to 1.2mm and specialised forceps will ensure that the hair follicle is not damaged during harvesting process. Grafts will be stored in a specialised solution at a temperature of 4 to 5 degree Celsius before transplanted into the recipient area.
- Incision and transplant procedure: The surgeon will also need to ensure that the hair follicles are transplanted in the correct manner, which refers to the incision size, depth and angle that the hair follicle is implanted.
- Donor dominance: Donor dominance is the reason why hair transplant work so well. The presence of male hormones is what causes the hair loss in specific areas. Hair in donor area are not affected by male hormones, and will proceed to grow once transplanted to the recipient area.
- Goals and expectations: It is important that the patient and surgeon are in agreement with the goals and end result of the hair transplant. The patient will also need to agree to post hair transplant treatments to optimise hair growth and improve the results even more.
Hair follicles are split into 3 categories:
- Terminal hairs (the hairs visible on your scalp)
- 60-84 microns in diameter
- Miniaturized hairs
- 30-60 microns in diameter
- Vellus hairs
- Less than 30 microns in diameter
- Examples of Vellus hairs are the hairs on the back of your hands. You will notice a lot of very small hair follicles, and you almost need a magnifying glass to see them.
For hair transplant surgery the Miniaturized and Vellus hairs will not make a big impact on your scalp. Even if your scalp was covered with a million of them, you will almost not see the hair. You need Terminal hairs with a caliber of 60-84 microns to have an aesthetic impact. With hair transplant surgery we target these Terminal hairs, extract them and re-apply them to the affected area of the scalp to regain that fuller look for stronger, healthier looking hair.
The many successful results achieved by Dr. André Nel is confirmation that hair transplants do work. If you are looking for a lasting solution to your hair loss problems, book your consultation with Dr. André Nel at The Hair, Skin & Wellness Clinic today. Find out more information about your own hair and what the best professional treatments would best suit you.